- Audiology & Speech Language Pathology
- Complementary Medicine
- General Reference
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Osteopathy & Manual Medicine
- Physical Therapy
- Plastic Surgery
- Student Education
- Veterinary Medicine
Member of the Association
of American Publishers
Member of the Independent
Book Publishers Association
A key new reference dedicated to the surgical management of sleep-disordered breathing...
The importance of unobstructed respiration in sleep, and the long-term risks of sleep apnea, cannot be overemphasized. The therapeutic efficacy of the widely prescribed "gold standard," CPAP, is compromised by low patient acceptance and compliance.
In light of the limits of CPAP and other forms of conservative therapy (e.g., mandibular advancement devices), there is a growing tendency to explore and expand the role of surgery in the treatment of severe sleep apnea. New insights and developments in pathophysiology, surgical techniques, and implants have opened the way to increased success in treating sleep apnea surgically.
This new work by leading international specialists provides a detailed, evidence-based approach to selected advanced surgical techniques, beginning with patient selection criteria, discussion of indications for and against surgery, choice of procedure (also in combinations), and more.
- Systematic, practice-oriented approach to examination, diagnosis, and treatment
- Step-by-step description of surgical concepts and techniques
- Superbly illustrated with full-colored photographs and drawings
- Focus on those procedures that have been shown to be successful in specific situations
- Discussion of outcomes, success rates, risks, and potential complications; where evidence-based data are not available, expert opinion is provided
Current Concepts of Sleep Apnea Surgery will be welcomed by residents, fellows, and board-certified surgeons in otorhinolaryngology and head and neck surgery.
This book includes complimentary access to a digital copy on https://medone.thieme.com.
1 Introduction and History of Sleep Apnea Surgery
3 Diagnosis of Sleep-Disordered Breathing
4 Nonsurgical Treatment: Lifestyle, Weight Loss, Positional Therapy, Mandibular Advancement Devices, Continuous Positive Airway Pressure, Multimodality Treatment
5 Surgical Principles
6 Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea
8 Surgery in Adults
9 Bariatric Surgery
10 Postoperative Care and Follow-Up